Some people are sure that print is dead and people do not even pick up anything to read anymore...everything is digital. Well, that is simply not true. People still do read, according to the Pew Institute: http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/09/01/book-reading-2016/, "Yet even as the number of ways people spend their time has expanded, a Pew Research Center survey finds that the share of Americans who have read a book in the last 12 months (73%) has remained largely unchanged since 2012. And when people reach for a book, it is much more likely to be a traditional print book than a digital product." And, who likes to read a magazine online very often? It's much more likely you pick one up in a waiting area or at the grocery store, particularly if they are free, and take a look.
With that said, you want your advertisement to pop if you are placing it in a print publication. So, what are some key ways to reach your audience in an effective way? Here are a few ideas from some seasoned pros here at Hill House...
- Create a Mood. Maybe it's funny or reflective, sad or fun...whatever it is, grab the reader in a way that makes them experience something. The best ads have an image that makes the reader think, and then a tag line that makes them feel something. If you simply put in your logo and your mission statement, chances are you will not get the "bang for your buck."
- Make it Beautiful. Even if you are selling an insurance product that is not glamorous, choose an image to go along with it that is pretty--maybe an upscale home or a beautiful vehicle that you ensure. Make the reader want to be in that house or car, and make them want to come see you to insure it.
- Call to Action. Saturday night is "BOGO night on Burgers" or "Mention this ad and get $5 off your drinks!" It works.
- Combo ads. Drive people to your social media page(s) and ask them to watch for a big giveaway or coupons. This way you are getting noticed both in print and digitally.
- Hire a Professional. We can design your ad for $70, which is really a steal. But, if you don't use us, try to use someone who knows their way around graphic design programs. It's worth having a professional know why high resolution photos are important and how to size things correctly.
We'd love to have your next beautiful ad in our magazine! Contact us today about advertising in the summer 2018 issue: firstname.lastname@example.org!